7/30/11

Retrospective Nicaragua: Managua

I didn't have many expectations for my trip to Nicaragua--I've found it to be a lost cause to wish and dream for things beyond your control. There is so much to love about travel and it's the unexpected moments that bring the most joy. The good things are magical in their purest form, and the not so good things, well they at the very least make for some really good stories. :)

Managua
The largest city in Nicaragua, Managua is also the capital. Like many other cities in Central America and the Caribbean, Managua's central business/tourist area is scattered with high rise hotels, shopping centers and industrial/corporate parks and surrounded by middle class to low income housing developments. I was not overly impressed by the city itself (what I saw of it) and truthfully did not feel compelled to stray very far from the hotel. 

The Intercontinental Real Metrocentro was my home base for 2 days, and provided a welcoming relaxed environment to acclimate to a slower pace of life. It should be no surprise that outside the Empire State, and in some cases the US--time takes on a whole other persona,  stepping back into its own natural rhythm.

The hotel was centrally located in the heart of the business district, conveniently attached to one of the local shopping centers. The staff were most charming and accommodating, arranging a driver to tour the city of Granada and acting as my go-between translator. The hotel amenities included access to the gym (and the resident massage therapist), (2) restaurants on-site--one of which featured live music during the evening hours, comfortable modern-style accommodations complete with wi-fi (if you had a laptop or tablet with you, of which I did not), and a beautiful courtyard with a freshwater swimming pool where I spent most of my time.

Intercontinental Real Metrocentro - MGA
View from my hotel room

Note: for anyone considering visiting Nicaragua, you should have a working/basic knowledge of Spanish (or at the very least a dictionary--it would have made my trip somewhat easier) to make the most of your visit. I was truly lucky that in all my interactions there was at least one person who was bi-lingual.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful view! I can't wait to read more- Hilary