9/7/07

"Beached Whale Spent Labor Day Weekend Sleeping Swimming Slothing"

...not exactly headline news but it's true, I spent the most of the weekend embracing the last moments of summer head-on with sea & sun. With a few minor errands thrown in:

Panda Sport
9213 5th Avenue @ 92nd Street - Bay Ridge, Brooklyn
Dylan over at Panda Sport was super helpful in assisting my roller blade upgrade. He took the time to size my foot and walked through the how-to optimize the skates for best use, including proper cleaning et cetera. Spurred on by this new purchase, I woke up early both Sunday & Monday for early morning blading by the Verrazano Bridge. Luckily they repaved a good portion of the path (though not so much of the area near Caesar's Bay which made for uneven rolling).

Sunday night I drove downtown to catch a movie at BAM. I swear the summer holiday weekends are the best times to stay in the city. There's parking and the crowds are kept at a minimum. I parked just off Lafayette and walked over to an Italian restaurant called Scopello's. A few years back I remember networking with a woman who was their event planner. While they had outdoor sidewalk seating, I opted to sit at the bar its top covered with an almond cream mosaic tile. The decor was more soothing than I would have imagined from her description, muted shades of orange and yellow, lots of exposed brick. The waitress/bartender was friendly and accommodating, the food yummy (I had casarecci--gemelli pasta with mushrooms and sausage) and moderately priced.

The movie was hilariously funny if you like British humor: "Death at a Funeral" - Directed by Frank Oz, chaos ensues when a deep dark secret is revealed about the deceased at his funeral.

No comments: