1/9/12

tick tock goes the clock

puzzling, this is the third time in a week I've had trouble sleeping. Many of my friends have battled insomnia and sleeping issues in the past but this is a first for me. I can't help but wonder why...last night I definitely got my fill of sleep (nearly 11 hours) but that shouldn't have affected this REM. I had a full day filled with of vocal lessons, driving, hauling litter, cleaning and even a bit of stress with Dad (he forgot to turn off the faucet and the sink overflowed and leaked through the floor and the ceiling into my bedroom, again).

Other than the full meal this afternoon, I've not had any sweets or sugary food minus the complimentary Sambuca served with lunch. Anise yes, but no caffeine. This evening I made fresh peppermint tea, an herbal remedy to settle my stomach, and nibbled on a few crackers but nothing beyond that. It's rather unsettling really, as I was tired just before washing my face and brushing my teeth. So what changed?

I may be reaching for straws but wonder if it could be a symptom of peri-menopause? I've had some weird sensations over the last 18 months or so, and every time I search the Web (a doctor's worst enemy) it seems there is almost always a mention/possibility that relates back to premature menopause. According to WebMD, the average age of onset for "natural" menopause in the U.S. is 51. I just turned  40 in October, so that seems unlikely though it doesn't explain the occasional hot flashes, change in body temperature, current bout of insomnia and occasional numbing of the face (though this is also a known side effect of migraines--which I unfortunately inherited from my mom).

With these random notions running on the inside track of my mind is it any wonder I am still awake at 1:22am?

No comments: